Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Daughter of the Light- III. Àine's Reel

This is the third movement of my flute choir piece, Daughter of the Light. The movement was inspired by the Irish goddess, Àine, goddess of wealth and summer. Of course it was also inspired my girlfriend, Danielle, and on another level, it was inspired by the sun and summer.


Àine's Reel

Decades past and I went out
Into the hills I’d dreamt about
I spent my days in fruitful ways
On melodies I loved to play

And in the dusk I took my mare
And rode into the mountain air
By brooks and streams and fallen trees
That garnished my felicity

I loved my pauper most of all
And spent my nights with him enthralled
With me as I was still with him
For love’s a light that never dims

And in my dreams I saw the place
Where I awoke and saw his face
And was reminded of the tune
He played that rainy afternoon

When I had found the love I’d kept
For so long hidden and untapped
Like wine in barrels aged for years
I held it for my cavalier

And still we danced to lilting songs
That kept our cheerful spirits strong
And in our lasting reverie
Beneath the shining summer leaves

We danced and played our melodies
That set our hearts and spirits free
To love and be ourselves adored
Until we land on heaven’s shore

No comments:

Post a Comment