Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Figaro's Getting Married

In the Lamont Symphony, we’ve been preparing tirelessly for the fall opera, The Marriage of Figaro. We had our first rehearsals with the vocalists last week, and they’ve been fantastic. Watch out for Benjamin Wood. He’ll be shaking the rafters as Figaro on the Thursday and Saturday night performances, which are drawing scarily close.

I feel like we just started rehearsing yesterday, and the opera opens next Thursday night. Maybe that’s just because it’s my first quarter in the symphony. I’ve played at the Sydney Opera House and been to Oxford to play for the best flautists in the world, yet I still get nervous every time I start with a new ensemble. Anyway, if you’re in town and want to see the opera, you can get tickets here.

Meanwhile, back at the recording studio, I’ve started working on my new CD. It’ll be a mix of three songs I wrote in an acoustic alternative style for guitar and piano and lots of singing with four flute duets I wrote, a piece I wrote for tenor trombone, bass trombone, and piano, and I think I’m going to cheat and throw in a song I recorded last summer. It’s an arrangement of the Australian song Waltzing Matilda for two flutes and guitar in a Celtic style. And if that’s not multicultural enough for you, I promise I’ll wear a cowboy hat and a dashiki over my lederhosen while I’m recording it.

No comments:

Post a Comment